Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Solid State: In which moderation is abandoned and I get to be obsessive

Back when I ran my marathon (almost 2 years ago so I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can't brag about it) you would have thought I was in peak physical condition.  

Instead I badly damaged my hip, my left knee, and aggravated the arthritis in my left ankle.  A girl can deal with all that, then I got my blood tested at work and was informed that for all extensive purposes I was a solid.  My cholesterol was through the roof.  At 25, 138 pounds, fresh off a marathon I had the cholesterol of an obese 45 year old.  Thanks, genetics, I'm looking at you Grandpa Geno.  

Granted my HDL (the cholesterol that cleans up after the LDL that is lying around in your arteries) was high and my LDL relatively low (the crud that collects in your arteries waiting on the HDL to take care of it), but thats like saying I wasn't gonna graduate because I was passing Math and failing PE-good to have the one but on the whole I wasn't graduating so the entire thing is null.

I have a lot of healthy habits.  I periodically exercise religiously.  I'm in a healthy weight range.  I like my fruits and veggies-and indulge in them and don't over indulge in sweets.  But still, I wasn't in the type of health inside that one would assume from the outside.  

What to do, what to do?

What I always do, seek help from someone who knows better than me.  I saw a Dietician and learned about the impact that eating out was having on me (1200 calorie pizza anyone?), that I needed more FIBER, that I drank far more than is socially acceptable in Church circles, and that more likely than not my anxiety was driving up my cholesterol levels.  

I became a model eater for about 2 days, the duration of my enthusiasm, and promptly fell off the bandwagon into a vat of queso.  

Healthy choices take a long time to become habit, and I had been blessed with a fast metabolism that let me skate by for most of my life on some poor ones.  My main conspirators were alcohol, diet soda, and meals that defy the laws of portion sizes (I will eat the entire jar of SALSA and GUACAMOLE!!!!! NOM NOM NOM).

When I was tested again, there were small improvements but on the whole I hadn't made the type of progress that this Test junkie lives for.  

What to do?  My dietician suggested that my moderation definition might be too lax and that I needed to hold myself to a higher level of expectation on a few key things.

So I did.  I stopped buying crap altogether, my snacks became fruit or greek yogurt, and I began to eat at least 3 super foods a day without fail-and that in turn helps me not crave diet soda all the time (which I still jones for).  I haven't endeavored to cut back on my drinking and my portions are still pretty big, but I feel progress is being made.  And progress forward is better than stagnant perfection any day.  Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.  But what do you guys think, is moderation always the way?  Or is being militant the way to go?

4 comments:

  1. Jenna, I can honestly say I am in the same position as you. I have had HIGH, like in the 200s high, cholesterol my entire adult life. I, too, have relatively high HDL levels. My big culprits were cheese & red meat & genetics & stress. Both my parents are on cholesterol meds. I cut back on the foods (but not away with); however, the BIG win came when I started excerising on the regular consistently. I am very Type A as well. Fortunately, as I have aged, I have learned to let go. Letting go is hard, I have found asking myself in the moment - will this matter next yr, in 5 yrs, when I am on my deathbed (morbid, I know). Typically, when I approach stress in this fashion it always seems to be so small. Long story short - Life is too short to give up what you love/like. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big believer in moderation. And lots of water helps me moderate sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water and consistency are both good calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being militant in the food category is NOT the way to go! Every time I try, I come back with a vengeance and eat TWO pizzas! (well not really, but you get the picture). Little by little, everything in moderation, and you'll get there :)

    ReplyDelete