Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Consumerism: The Enemy of Moderation

I was sitting at a Pizza joint with my fashionable niece Maddy who was about to turn "4".  Making conversation, I asked her what she would like for her birthday, she turned to me and very seriously answered, "More things!  Just more things!"  

I was vaguely disturbed by this answer.

There are children in this world that don't have enough food in their bellies or a bed to sleep in, and yet there are some who want for nothing except "more things".

I don't begrudge my niece her answer.  I am just as guilty of the "thing" pursuit as anyone.  The ease with which I whip out my credit card on a whim is comparable to falling asleep at night.  And the fact of the matter is I work very hard for my money, I can afford "the things", and I enjoy them, and when I have kids there is not a doubt in my mind that I will want my child to "have all the things!!!", too.  Apparently this is part of the American Dream.  But there is something unsettling about it.

When I was in my early 20's I spent my money on experiences (as well as alcohol and cocktail dresses), but as the responsibilities of being an obsessed pet owner and loyal Account Manager have increased there has been a shift of where and how I spend.  Some of its for the better, I love my fitness and meditation classes, but some of it is just a waste-eating out 37 days in a row for 2 meals a day, loading up on my Kindle when I could read a book every 2 days instead of going to a Library, countless magazine subscriptions (7) that I don't read until I travel by plane, mindless trips to Target, so much online shopping my Apartment Office lady thinks I have an addiction.  She may or may not be right. 

Consumerism is a part of our culture.  But just because something is a part of our culture does that make it right? Especially in a culture that celebrates more! more! more!  What about moderation?

As I learn more about moderation I'm noticing our culture scorns it, and I, like my niece, have been swept up in a tide of consumerism; and it doesn't make me feel wealthy.  In fact all this more makes me feel less.  I need to check my consumerism before consumerism consumes me.  So that brings me to my question-how have you all curbed your consumerism?  Do you think about it?  Whats worth it?  Whats not?

3 comments:

  1. I always keep in mind that if I don't get something now, I can always get it later, and even in the event that I won't (such as that gorgeous handbag that's on sale only now) I probably won't regret it, or even remember it.

    I also try to own as few things as possible: clothes (my wardrobe is shockingly small, although I change it up every season), books (I only keep the ones I absolutely love, the others I sell or pass on), gadgets and tools (I can manage quite well without most of them).

    On top of that, I make myself really, really happy by passing on things that I don't use anymore. Putting thought into what you give to whom(as opposed to just dumping your clothes into a charity box) makes it all the more special.

    I hope this helps a little bit! In any case, I'm certain that you'll arrive at a comfortable balance very soon. :o) Spring cleaning, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't necessarily afford everything I want, so when I do want something badly I am forced to take the time, save for it, and really think, do I need this?

    Now don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would be buying stuff all over the place, in fact, it seriously depresses me sometimes that I can't.

    So this year I am making more of an effort to be happy with the things I already have and not sad about the things I don't xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie- I am also trying to do the, I can always get it later thing. I hope it does

    Lato- sometimes when you have the money it makes me sad that I appreciate the value in things less. Its always something.

    ReplyDelete